Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sweet and Tangy Basil

Summer is here and everyone's gardens are ripe with bounty. Except mine that is. I don't really have a garden but I do have some potted plants, which the deer keep coming by and eating up for me. For some reason they do not want to eat my pot full of herbs. Something in there must not smell appealing to them. The pot is alive with dill, chives, parsley, basil, rosemary and sage. I think basil is my favorite herb to cook with, as it adds such a fresh flavor to everything. You can't really go wrong with adding basil.



Most people assoc
iate basil with pesto sauce, which is gingerly spread over pasta. Well we can certainly do the same by switching the regular pasta for rice or corn, among others. Or you can add it to a sandwich! I discovered this idea from a gluten free bakery located in Vancouver, BC called Panne Rizo. It's one of their specials that I've recreated at home and will now share with you. It's warm, sweet, tangy and delicious.

I've started to figure out that the more I make from scratch, the less likely I am to get contaminated. Even though I'm still trying to work on the baking side of things, I'm trying to start cooking more foods from scratch. For inst
ance, instead of buying store bought pesto, I made it from the basil in my potted garden outside. Yum.

Basic Basil Pesto

2 cups Fresh Basil
3 tablespoons Pine Nuts

1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese*
2 cloves minced Garlic
1/2 cup Olive Oil


In a food processor or blender add all ingredients except oil in small batches (1/3 at a time) and process. Add oil last and process further until you have a smooth consistency.

*It's best to buy whole Parmesan and grate it yourself as pre-grated cheeses may be coated in flour to keep them from clumping. A food processor makes this process quick and easy.




Pesto and Goat Cheese Open Face Sandwich

Serves 1

1 Gluten Free Bun, cut in half
4 Tablespoons of Basil Pesto Sauce
2 Tablespoons of toasted Pine Nuts**
2 Tablespoons of soft Goat Cheese

Lay the GF bun halves on a cookie sheet, cut side facing up. On each half place 2 tablespoons of Pesto. Top that with soft Goat Cheese and toasted Pine Nuts. Place in the oven on the top rack and set to grill for approximately 4 or 5 minutes. Watch carefully as not to burn.

**To toast pine nuts, coat them in olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet. Grill them until lightly golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Tiffany! That sounds so good, and I will definately be trying that soon :)

    ReplyDelete