Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Artichokes

Artichokes, they aren't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a snack but they can be tasty! My favorite used to be artichoke and spinach dip with lime tortillas. I know that there are some regular chips out there that Celiacs can still eat, but I'm one of those super sensitive people that will get symptoms from food that is processed in the same facility if they don't have good management practices in place to prevent cross contamination. So I've been avoiding regular chips for a while.

But that's a bit of side track. My point is to talk about the artichokes. One day I was downtown Victoria with some friends at Peacocks Billiards and James Joyce Bistro to play some pool. There was a big wait so we thought we'd have some drinks and maybe a snack first to bide the time. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they had a special gluten free menu available that highlights what is safe for a Celiac to eat. On that menu was fried artichokes with aioli dip. I knew I liked artichokes in spinach dip, but I had never tried them on there own before. So I decided to live on the edge and try them. They were surprisingly good and addictive. I had to tell my friends to stay away from my food they were so yummy.

So I tried to make a similar version at home and here is what I came up with:


Fried Artichokes with Curry Mayo


Vegetable Oil
1 Jar or Can of Marinated Artichoke Hearts
1/3 Cup of White Rice Flour
Salt
Pepper

Mayonnaise
Curry Powder

This recipe is pretty easy and most of it is done to taste, which is why I don't really have any measurements. Basically fill a frying pan with oil (olive or vegetable, but vegetable is cheaper) so that it's about 1 to 2 inches deep. Heat the oil. While heating the oil place rice flour in a bowl or a plastic bag and add salt and pepper to taste. Place artichoke hearts in the flour and coat completely. Then place them in the heated oil and fry until all sides are golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.

To make the dip all you need is mayonnaise and mild curry powder. I guess how much dip I would like to use, perhaps one or two heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise and then add curry to taste (for me approximately 1 teaspoon). Mix well.

Then all that's left is to plate the artichokes and dip and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment