Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cannelloni

Cannelloni is one of those foods I thought that I would never get to eat again. I've been searching and searching for a rice pasta cannelloni shells and have yet to find one. All of the gluten free pasta, even the ready made frozen dinners, didn't have cannelloni as an option. Until recently that is ... I discovered Planet Organic carried a frozen dinner option and tried it, and it was good. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called. I was surprised to see how they did the shell though, as it was just a flat piece of pasta rolled up. That gave me an idea! I could just make cannelloni with gluten free lasagna noodles ... and so that is what I did.



Cannelloni

Wrap:
1 box/package of Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles

Filling:
2 tablespoons Olive Oil

1 package of Frozen Spinach
2 cups of Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese
1 medium Yellow Onion

1 large Egg
1/2 tsp of Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Topping:

1 16oz can of Tomato Sauce
4 small to medium tomatoes, diced (I used orange and yellow vine tomatoes)
Basil (to taste)
1 package of Goat Mozzarella, g
rated

To start, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Next boil water and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. While
pasta is boiling create filling by frying onions and spinach in a pan with your olive oil. Cook until onions are golden brown. Place this in a large bowl along with the remaining filling ingredients and mix well. In a smaller bowl you can mix your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and basil.


Next it's time to assemble. Pour part of your tomato topping into a 3 quart baking dish. Then lay out your lasagna noodles and spoon filling (about 2 tablespoons at a time, but you can change to whatever works for you) onto on end of the lasagna noodle and roll up. Place the rolled up noodle into your baking pan. Continue until all of your noodles and filling is used up. Do due the size of the noodle your cannelloni's will be about half the length of a regular one, but you can serve four instead of the usual two. Cover these with the rest of your tomato topping, coat in mozzarella and bake for 20 minutes. Voila! Your masterpiece is complete.


After trying this for the first time I was amazed at how fresh it tasted. I must admit I've only ever tried the frozen entree version of cannelloni and will now find it hard to go back. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for listing The Celiac Scene™ as your favourite website! So great to know that our maps to celiac-trusted restaurants across Canada are helping celiacs new to town or new to the diet take the fear of out of dining dangerously!

    Loved your inspired rolled lasagne cannelloni concept! See my tribute to Tiffany at http://www.theceliacscene.com/news.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, The Celiac Scene website is beyond helpful and really well done. I love it!

    Thanks so much for mentioning my site and recipe on your news feed, I'm honoured!

    ReplyDelete