Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crispy Kale

Kale ... what the heck is it and what is it good for? I still don't pretend to know. But this is what I've found out. Kale is a leafy green that shares the same family as cabbage and Brussels sprouts, which means it's loaded with nutrients (Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Calcium, etc). Some sources claim that it is a super food and contains nutrients that can aid in fighting cancer. The best part is, it's peak growth period in winter when sources of high quality vegetables are lower.

A while back a coworker brought bags and bags of kale to work. She couldn't give the stuff away because no one new what to do with it. Since then I've seen a few vegetarians adding it to stir fry's and saute's. Y
et I still hadn't had the guts to try it out. That is until another coworker told me about kale chips.

They seemed pretty simple to make and it didn't require ruining an entire meal, so I thought I would give it a try. When my boyfriend was over later that evening, I asked him if he would like to try them. "Isn't that lettuce?" he asked. "Pretty much" was my reply and fr
om there he went on a tirade about how stupid it was to make lettuce chips. He was getting quite worked up about it, but I told him he was not allowed to rant about it until he tried them. So he did. I watched him glare at the foul thing before popping it into his mouth and then the moan came ... the moan of defeat. His expression changed almost instantly from that of loathing health nut crazy food to inquisitiveness and positivity. In other words he liked them. He said they actually tasted pretty good and were quite light so you didn't feel like you were stuffing yourself. My thoughts exactly. They don't quite taste like chips, although at moments they do. But the flavour they do have is quite addictive. It's like those old Lays potato chip commercials ... I dare you to just have one.


Kale Chips

1 bunch of Kale, washed and stems removed
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese(optional)

Tear kale leaves into bite size pieces and toss in olive oil. Lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Place in 250 degree F oven for approximately 30 minutes.

Canadian Living has an article with some interesting uses for kale. How do you cook with kale?

No comments:

Post a Comment