Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gluten in your bathroom?

The day the doctor tells you that you can no longer consume gluten, the first thing you do (other than cry yourself to sleep) is go through your kitchen cupboards and fridge and throw out everything that is no longer safe to eat. One thing that we don't always do, or are directed not to worry about is going through our bathroom cupboards as well.

Initially I was told that you don't have to worry about hair products or make up, because you are not ingesting them and absorbing gluten through the skin doesn't impact our digestive systems. However, now that I've been gluten free for a few years, I've started to make sure it's not in any of my toiletries. I noticed after switching shampoos that I was get contaminated a lot and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that my new shampoo had wheat in it. One thing I do in the shower is wash my hair and then immediately scrub my lips to get rid of flakes, especially in the winter. So here I was, unintentionally contaminating myself on a daily basis. I now have a gluten free shampoo from that is fantastic.

It's an especially good idea to go through your toiletries if you have small children around who are Celiac. Small children will eat anything, and even though the amounts of gluten that may be in your lipstick or body wash may be so small that they won't cause a reaction, it's probably a good idea to make sure that product is gluten free in case they eat the tube of chap stick or something silly like that.

I'm notoriously bad for forgetting about the medicine in my bathroom cupboards as well. After a few months, I came across a posting about gluten free medicine and that little sp
ark went off in my head. The one that says, "Oh yeah, I guess I eat/ingest medicine and it should be safe too." Luckily for me, Advil and most of the other products that I use are already safe, but make sure you find out what starch or filler is being used in your medicines, or they may just cause you more grief than aid.

I don't want to sound like a sales person right now, but I do feel that I should mention a company called Arbonne. Only a few short months ago, I had never heard of the company, and now I am a loyal customer. They are not for the frugal in mind as the initial cost of their products are not cheap, however, the products last much longer than their cheap counter parts, so in the long run they are a better deal.

What got me hooked on Arbonne is the product itself. Sure, the at home parties with wine and goodies
www.arbonne.ca/

and a room full of chatty woman is fun, but it won't make me come back and by more. The product is the only thing that can do that, and it has. I use their Clear Advantage skin care line (which is gluten free) and a few weeks after using it, my Mom made a comment on a recent photograph saying that my skin looked like it was glowing in that picture. I had noticed a difference in myself, but it was nice to know that it was noticeable to others as well.

I also use their Intelligence Shampoo line. It will make your hair so incredibly soft that you can't stop touching it. The Lemon Scrub smells delicious, and is actually really great at removing grit and grime from your boyfriends work dirty hands. In fact, the men in your house might start trying to steal your stuff. One big seller is that all of their products are vegan and not tested on animals. They are, unfortunately, not all gluten free ... but they do have many products that are gluten free. Just ask them. They are very helpful and friendly and will provide you with lists of safe products to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment