Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chocolate Cheesecake Interlude

Well I promised I would put up a few thanksgiving related recipes and there will be a few more to come, but I thought I would post this chocolate cheesecake recipe as an interlude first.

My boyfri
end's birthday is coming up and I wanted to hold a surprise party for him. With his roommates help, that's exactly what I did. His favorite dessert is chocolate cheesecake, so that is what I made for his birthday cake. I've never made a cheesecake before, not even before I was diagnosed with Celiac, so I was very nervous of how my concoction would turn out. I browsed a bunch of recipes and pulled a little from one and a little from another. Not the best idea for a first time cake, but it worked!

Everyone at the party said that my cheesecake was delicious and no one had any idea it was gluten free until they noticed
I was eating it too. My boyfriend was especially impressed, saying that it tasted exactly like his favorite chocolate cheesecake from the store and really liked the chocolate leaves that I made to decorate it. The cheesecake was a bit much for me as I'm lactose intolerant and technically not supposed to eat chocolate either, but damn did it taste good. Try it yourself!



Chocolate Cheesecake

Crust:
1 pa
ckage of Panne Rizo GF Chocolate Walnut Cookies
3/4 cu
p melted Butter
1 tablespoon Sugar

Filling:
1 cup of Ricotta Cheese

2 cups of Cream Cheese

3 eggs

1/2 cup Sour Cream

1/2 cup Sugar

1/4 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract

2 tablespoon Carob Powder (or cocoa powder)

1 cup melted GF Chocolate Chips

To start place the gluten free cookies in a plastic bag (ziploc) and smash the cookies with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. Once the cookies are a nice crumbly consistency, place them in a medium sized bowl. Add melted butter and sugar and mix well. Using a spatula place the cookie mixture into the base of a pre-greased cheesecake pan. If you like more crust, double the recipe.

Now in a food processor, mix cheeses and eggs, until well mixed. Then add sour cream, sugar and almond extract and mix well. Pulse in carob pie. Pour this mixture into a large bowl and fold in melted chocolate with a spatula. Pour the filling into the cheesecake pan, on top of the crust. Place the cheesecake into a pre-heated 400 degree F oven and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, lower the temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for another 60 minutes. It's a good idea to place an empty cookie sheet on a rack below the cheesecake to catch any drippings. Once the the cheesecake is finished baking allow it to cool in the oven for up to 3 hours to prevent cracking. Next chill for 6 hours or overnight before removing sides of pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment