Thursday, November 19, 2009

Steamed Milk Alternative

Not being able to have gluten is my major limit, but I have others. I can't have lactose, soy milk, chocolate or caffeine. That can limit the types of hot warm beverages quite significantly, especially when going to cafes. Yes, there is always tea, but since I try to avoid caffeine I'm limited in the types of tea and some teas contain barley, so you have to be careful what type you order. Sometimes I just want a hot chocolate.

Hot chocolates are what almost everyone craves or talks about on those cold blustery days... days where you get soaked running from your car to the front door, days when your fingers are numb from cold and snow, days when you can barely ope
n your eyes because the wind and hail are shattering against your face. Once you are inside the first thing I think of to warm up (other than a hot shower) is hot chocolate. I then immediately bemoan the fact that I can't have it anymore. I'm sure I could come up with some hot carob alternative, but the other night I came up with something even better. It's so simple and yet so good. Next time you feel like a hot drink to warm you up, try this:

Steamed Milk Alternative (aka Almond Amarula Steamer)
-Serves One

1.5 cups of Vanilla Almond Milk
1 shot of Amarula

Use what you have on hand, a pot or espress
o maker or a milk frother. I own a stove top milk frother so I just threw in almond milk and amarula into it and slowly heated it until boiling (without burning it) stirring occasionally. Once it was hot I removed it from the stove, pumped the frother top and voila I have steamed milk. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and/or nutmeg on top to decorate.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! No gluten, lactose OR soy milk, that kinda limits your options. But if you're not allergic to nuts. Hazelnut and Almond milk are actually two of my favourites. You could try hemp too. I'm personally not a fan, but it's another possibility?

    ReplyDelete