Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy Holidays / Nourish / Eggnog

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you all had fantastic Christmas's, Hanukkahs, and Boxing Day Sales ... what ever it is you celebrate. I was away in Calgary and Banff until Christmas Eve. My boyfriend's family mostly lives in Calgary and there was a Christmas wedding that we were all invited to, so I got to go with them and meet a whack load of people. The trip was great, except I managed to get a bit of food poisoning right before we were supposed to go snowboarding in Banff. So while everyone else was having fun on the slopes, I was sleeping off my sickness. I did get to go to a spa though, which was fantastic. Everyone I met in Calgary was super nice and I had a great time.

The Christmas wedding was very nice too and the bride was also a Celiac, so she understood my food needs and we both had special plates for us at the wedding. I was actually a bit surprised that not all the food was safe for her to eat, but at least she made sure that she had food. You wouldn't want to go starving on your wedding day! If I ever get married, everyone is going to be eating gluten free and they will probably be shocked at how yummy eating gluten free can be.

In fact, when we were in Banff our party also had one vegetarian (my boyfriends brothers girlfriend). Having one vegetarian and one celiac in the party made it a bit difficult for the others to accommodate our diets, but they did a great job of doing so. We were, however, in utter shock when we discovered a vegetarian restaurant that served wheat free / gluten free food. Of course, we had to go! This restaurant in Banff, is called Nourish. We had the whole place to ourselves as Tuesday night is a slow night for them. The food is served Tapas style and is beyond yummy. We had nachos with 27 different toppings (rated number 1 in all of Alberta, and I can see why!), yam tenders, shepards pie, stuffed roasted red pepper, yam and apple soup and ravioli. The ravioli was the only thing I couldn't eat. Even the boys in the group were amazed at how good everything tasted and my boyfriend commented on the fact that it was the first meal in a long time that he left satisfied but not bloated. I think he has some sort of food intolerance but we don't know what it is and he's too stubborn to find out. That's a whole other story though. I highly recommend Nourish if you are Celiac and are travelling through Banff.

Since it is the holiday season, there is a lot of eggnog. I love eggnog, but since being diagnosed I've never been able to figure out if it's safe for me to eat. That and since discovering that I'm also lactose intolerant and soy milk makes my throat itchy, I don't have a whole lot of options. I here that Lactaid makes eggnog, but I can't find it in the stores around here anywhere. So what's a girl gotta do to get a bit of eggnog around here? You guessed it, make it herself!

I searched the web on how to make your own eggnog and tried a few recipes out. One of them is a raw recipe which doesn't really taste like eggnog at all, but it did taste quite yummy. I think it just needs some tweaking with the spices to make it more like eggnog. If you'd like to try it, you can find it here: http://thriveonlive.blogspot.com/2008/10/raw-nogg.html. Then I tried a cooked eggnog recipe. The only problem is you have to cook it very slowly or you will turn your eggs into scrambled eggs and that isn't very appetizing. Mine turned out quite yummy when I adjusted the spices but it had little tapioca like beads at the bottom of it, which is probably from cooking it too high and were easily strained out using cheesecloth. So if you can find pasteurized raw eggs, I would recommend that version. I just haven't been able to find pasteurized eggs yet.


Cooked Eggnog

6 Eggs
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
4 cups of Lactose Free Milk (or Almond Milk)
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves

In a large saucepan beat eggs, sugar and salt together and then stir in 2 cups of milk. Cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and lightly coats a spoon. Remove from heat and mix in the remaining milk, vanilla and spices. Chill overnight.

1 comment:

  1. My compliment for your blog and pictures included,I encourage you to photoblog

    CLICK PHOTOSPHERA

    Even week another photo album

    Greetings from Italy,

    Marlow

    ReplyDelete