Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Perogies

When I was growing up I hated perogies. No offense to my Mom of course, she was just following the instructions ... take from frozen, plop in boiling water until they float and done. They were so bland and chewy I despised the days that we had them for dinner.

Then one day when I had long moved out from home my roommates made perogies and they were delicious! They taught me that in addition to boiling the perogies, you then add them to a frying pan with sausages or bacon and onions and lots of butter and fry them until golden brown. They then soak up some of the flavour and become quite tasty.

Another time I went to my friend Abel's and he showed me another way of making yummy perogies. He bought the ones that were filled with pizza filling and then cooked them up with sweet Thai chili sauce. They were super tasty.

For the longest time after being diagnosed, I didn't even contemplate perogies. They were a thing of the past. Then I saw that a local (well Vancouver Island) based company was making them. But for $14 a package and the package was 1/3 the size of what regular perogies would come in, it was a hard bite to swallow. I did it once just as a treat but that was too expensive for me. Then I started seeing blogs about gluten free perogies and had to try it myself. They turned out pretty well. I based my recipe off of "The Celiac Husband" blog, but did not have access to the flour mix, so had to change it up a bit. My boyfriend, who is the ultimate test, loved them. I cooked them up with Hertel gluten free chirozo sausage, butter and onions to give them that special kick.



Perogies
-Adapted from The Celiac Husband

Dough

1 3/4 Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
2 teaspoons of Xanthan Gum
2 large Eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon of Sour Cream
1/2 cup of Water
Butter
Salt and Pepper

Filling

1 Russet Potato
1/2 cup of shredded Applewood Smoked Cheddar
2 tablespoons Butter
1/4 cup of Goats Milk
1 teaspoon minced Garlic
1/2 small Onion

In order to make the filling, boil the potato in a small pot until tender. Then mash in the butter and milk to make it like mashed potatoes. Add in garlic, onion and cheese. Set aside.

For the dough, place flour, beaten eggs, and Xanthan in a food processor and pulse until well mixed. Then add sour cream and water and pulse again. If the dough is sticky, just add more flour, if too dry add more water. Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for one hour (or more). Roll out the dough on a floured piece of wax paper and use a large cookie cutter to cut out individual perogies. Remember that gluten free dough doesn't stretch very well so you can't pull the dough over the filling very well ... instead you need to make bigger dough cut outs.


Once you have your circles of dough you can fill them with one or two tablespoons of your filling. Place the filling in the center and then fold the dough over pressing the edges together. Place the perogies in boiling water until they float and then transfer them to a frying pan with melted butter, onions and sausage (or bacon) and sautee until golden brown. Serve with sour cream and voila, yummy perogies!

1 comment:

  1. Can you tell me which Vancouver-based company makes perogies??? Please email me at meely_83@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete