Thursday, January 14, 2010

Campbells Soup and Blue Cornmeal Muffins



Now instead of joining the other bloggers out there and announcing that Starbucks in Canada and the U.S. has decided to start carrying some healthier snacks, including some gluten free options, I've decided to tell you about another company that's jumping on the gluten free band wagon. That company is Campbell's Soup.

Just when I thought all hope was lost with that company, as they had recently removed pretty much all of their soup from the gluten free safe lists that were floating around, making shopping for soup an almost impossible task, they bring out a whole new line. I had given up all together in fact on even walking down the soup isle. It's almost like a girl giving up a dream of walking down the wedding isle, starring sadly and longly at that soup isle thinking, why bother, I'm not going to find anything there. Until a friend told me that she saw a can of Chunky Campbell's soup with the words Gluten Free on it.

I thought maybe she was hallucinating or maybe was a little too high on the sugar or something because that was silly, a chunky soup being gluten free. But alas, I felt I must investigate further to see if these claims were true. Now, I don't know how long this has been going on for. Perhaps I've been in the dark for months or years, but I think it's fairly recent and the soup isle did in fact have soup with the words gluten free on them. I did have to do a lot of digging to find the only two brands (in that store) that had that claim, but two is better than none and one of those flavours was the New England Clam Chowder! I haven't had that in ages and that was one of the few types of soup that I used to like coming from a can.

Since then I've done a bit more research and discovered a mushroom soup is on their gluten free list, but it's label just hasn't been updated yet. I'm so happy I could almost cry! There are a few recipes that I used to love making that called for cream of mushroom soup and it felt a little ridiculous to make soup, just so I could then put it in another dinner. I mean if I ever had left overs, that wouldn't be a problem, but I have a garburator for a boyfriend, so the word 'left overs' is almost like a dirty word in my house.

So yes, Campbells soup is bringing out gluten free products, of which they are testing on a regular (every 6 months) basis. As always, if you react repeatedly, do tell them so they can fix the problem (and maybe the Canadian Food Inspection Agency as well), but they claim to test under 10 ppm, so there should be no problems ... unless you are super sensitive, which I kind of am. So go fourth and eat, and let me know if you have any issues. So far I'm okay with what I've tried, which is a good sign.

Below is a simple recipe for blue cornmeal muffins, which are quite the tasty treat to accompany a can of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder.

Blue Cornmeal Muffins

3/4 cup Blue Cornmeal
1 1/4 cups of Almond Milk or Lactaid Milk
1 cup of Bob Red Mill's GF All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup of granulated Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg
1/4 cup Crisco Shortening

Mix the cornmeal and milk product into a mixer bowl and let stand for ten minutes (this softens the cornmeal). Next add everything else and mix well! Pour the mixture into greased muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 6-12 depending on how full you actually fill the cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment