Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mayacamas Eggs Benny

I look forward to weekend breakfasts. With my work schedule, I'm up at a different time almost every day (especially during the summer). Sometimes my alarm goes off at 3:30am, 5:30am or 7:00am. With those early mornings, I find it difficult to eat before I go to work. I've never been a big breakfast eater, so I tend to take my breakfast with me and eat it on the road or at my desk. That usually means a rather tasteless gluten free cereal bar and a Yop.

So after a week of doldrum breakfasts, I look forward to the big weekend breakfast. Usually it's either Pamela's gluten free Pancakes with eggs and bacon or sausages, Pamela's gluten free muffins (using the same flour mix) or omelettes loaded with veggies and cheese. The one breakfast that was missing from my arsenal was eggs benedict. I used to love eggs benny. Mom Mom made great eggs benny and so did Pagliacci's restaurant in downtown Victoria. My favorite was my namesake "Breakfast at Tiffany's". They actually can still make me that breakfast, as their sauce is okay, but it's not so filling without the English muffin or in this case foccacia bread.

I had never made it from scratch though and the only hollandaise sauce mix I could find was loaded with wheat flour. Until, that is, I discovered a gluten free hollandaise sauce mix made by Mayacamas. I found them first on my last trip to Calgary in Safeway. Recently I found a Creamy Pesto Sauce Mix for Pasta in Country Grocer here in Victoria. So it seems this company has a few gluten free options. I haven't tried the pesto yet, but the hollandaise sauce gets two great big thumbs up!


Eggs Benedict for Two

2 poached Eggs
1 package of Mayacamas Hollandaise Sauce Mix
1 1/4 cups of Lactose free Milk
2 tablespoons of Butter
1-2 tablespoons of gluten free Worcestershire Sauce (0ptional)
2 Kinnikinnick English Muffins
2 slices of Frebe Ham
handfull of fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste

There are a lot of little steps in this, but they are all fairly easy. First prepare your hollandaise sauce according to the package directions. Basically adding milk, butter and worcestirshire sauce to it and mixing it until thick. While that's heating you can poach some eggs. I have an egg poacher which makes it easy, but if you don't have one you can do it the original way, which is throwing the eggs into boiling water. Also while all of that is on the go, you can slightly defrost your Kinnikinnick English muffin in the microwave, just enough so that you can cut through it. Slice it in half and toast. Once everything is ready, you can assemble. Place one muffin half in the center of your plate, and take it's pair and cut it in half and place each half on either side (these are to soak up the extra sauce). Place a small pat of butter on each piece. Next layer a slice of ham on the center muffin, followed by some fresh spinach, your poached egg, and top with sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Repeat these steps for your second plate.

Oh and a side note! My boyfriend tried the Kinnikinnick brand English muffin for the first time when I made this breakfast and without provocation, he said "these taste remarkably bread like." I've been off of real bread for too long to remember what it's supposed to taste like, so that's a great thing for a bread eater to say about a gluten free product! He also loved the whole meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment