Monday, January 4, 2010

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones


A month or so ago when pumpkin was all the rage due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, I tried to think of something a little different to make with pumpkin. Something that wasn't pumpkin pie or some version of that. The holiday season is full of seasonal food and drinks and I was remembering fondly the starbucks flavoured drinks that come out during the holidays. Warm ginger or pumpkin steamers and then it struck me ... Starbucks pumpkin scones! I used to love those things and I haven't had a scone in years. That is what I was going to make. My mind was made up, until another gluten free blogger beat me to the punch.

The gluten-free goddess posted a delicious looking recipe for a gluten free, egg free, dairy free version. If you would like to try it check out her site here. Although I try to cut down on the dairy I haven't started to cut out eggs yet so I decided that I would still make my own version. Both gluten-free goddess' version and mine are based off a Starbucks pumpkin recipe full of gluten and eggs and dairy found on this site posted by Rachel-Snachel.

Another difference in the recipes is that I'm still not very experimental with the gluten free flours. When I started baking gluten free I had a recipe for all purpose gluten free flour that was my Nana's which used soy flour among others. Whenever I baked with it, it was 50/50 whether my baked good would turn out and then the outcomes were just turning into disaster after disaster. I think I didn't mix the flour enough or maybe one of the flours was bad. Who knows? But I did know that I should be avoiding soy flour so I wanted something that I could count on. That's when I discovered Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All purpose flour. It really is all purpose and hasn't let me down yet. So to keep it simple I use it. It saves me from buying a million bags of flour. I'm sure eventually when I'm more confident with gluten free flours, I will start experimenting but for now and for those of you who are new to all this, this flour mix is a great start!

So without further a due , my version of the Starbucks pumpkin scone in all it's outrageous sugary glory!


STARBUCKS PUMPKIN SCONES
-based on recipe by Rachel-Snachel

SCONES

2 cups Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
7 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground Ginger
6 tablespoons Crisco Shortening
1/2 cup canned Pumpkin
3 tablespoons of Almond Milk
1 large Egg

POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE

1 cup Icing Sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Almond Milk

SPICED SUGAR GLAZE

1 cup Icing Sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Almond Milk
1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1 pinch of Ginger
1 pinch of ground Cloves

This recipe makes between 6-8 scones. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F. Combine the first 9 ingredients together in a Kitchen Aid Mixer (that's the flour to the spices). Then cut in shortening with a pastry knife until the mixture is crumbly but has no clumps. Then add your wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg and almond milk) and mix until well combined. Place this mixture into a silicone square pan and push it into all the corners (should be about 1-2 inches thick). Using a knife cut the dough through East to West and North to South. Then cut through on each diagonal length. This should give you 8 triangles. Put in the oven and bake for 14 minutes. Once they are golden brown and come out clean on the toothpick test, remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.

While the scones are cooling, you can make the icing. Basically in small bowls mix all of the ingredients together (as per list) with a spatula. Once the scones have cooled you can use the spatula or a brush to coat the tops of the scones with a layer of sugar glaze. Next using a whisk or a bag with a whole in it, pipe or drizzle the spiced sugar glaze onto the scones. Voila, your delicious scones are ready.

4 comments:

  1. Hi I came over from Gluten Free Girl on the broccoli post as soon as I heard you were looking to make a recipe but didn't have a substitute for a good "cream of mushroom" can...You can make your own! I'm not GF, but I make a string bean casserole w/o the cans, all I do is saute an onion and chopped mushrooms, 12 oz or so in butter, add a couple of tablespoons flour (I imagine you could add cornstarch later on, or google gf bechamel - one I saw had cornstarch and rice flour) then add some mixture of cream and milk, 2c. or so, cook til thick, or bring to full heat, add the cornstarch slurry and cook until thick, salt, pepper, and I like to add nutmeg depending on what I'm using it for.

    Hope you get back to the recipe you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I saw your comment on the gluten free girl blog about no substitute for cream of soup. I bought a book of gluten free recipes and it had a cream of recipe the book is The Gluten-Free Gourmet revised edition by Bette Hagman. I use this recipe often. Definately works in all the caseroles. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Christine and Anonymous, both those ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO much for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete