Sunday, February 7, 2010

Carrot Flax (and more) Muffins


A while back I discovered a brand of flax muffins that were labelled gluten free. They were quite hearty and tasty and made for a good breakfast muffin. But then the store that I had JUST discovered them in, stopped carrying them. That store was Thrifty Foods and they were actually incredibly helpful. The bakery manager called me and told me that the people who made the muffins had to find a new place to get their muffins made and would let me know when they started to carry them again. It was probably 4 to 6 months later Thrifty Foods called me up and let me know that they were carrying the muffins again. Unfortunately for me, once I got there, the first thing I noticed was that the term 'gluten free' had been removed from the label and it only said wheat free. I scanned the label dutifully and could not find any other signs of gluten, so I thought I would try them anyways. Sadly, I think they are no longer safe for me to eat. I wasn't getting huge reactions, but small ones, which accumulate if you eat the same muffin every day for breakfast. I was devastated. Okay, perhaps devastated is a bit exaggerated, but I had been hopeful that those muffins would replace my very bland breakfast cereal bars.

Then the other day I noticed I had two carrots in the fridge and it sparked a thought. Perhaps, I could make my own flax muffins? Well I gave it a shot today and let my brother who had dropped by sample one moments after it had come out of the oven, and he liked it. He even tried to get his girlfriend to find the recipe on here and make some. Personally, I think they are quite good! They are moist, sweet, and have quite a bit of healthy stuff hidden in them ... even if they aren't quite technically healthy.


Carrot flax (and more) Muffins

1 cup of Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All purpose flour
1/2 cup ground Flax Meal
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1 1/4 cup Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup of shredded Coconut
2 grated Carrots
1/2 grated Zucchini
1/2 cup of Golden Raisins
3 Eggs
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Apple Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients (first 9). In a small bowl whisk together oil, eggs and applesauce. In a food processor, grate carrots and zucchini. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and then slowly add the grated carrots, zucchini, raisins and coconut. If the mixture is not wet enough, add some more applesauce. Once well blended, pour into muffin tins (greased or lined with muffin cups) and bake for 20-25 minutes. If making jumbo sized muffins decrease temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. These look really good,and I haven't added flaxseed to a recipe in a while! Dairy free too. They must have been delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I shared them with a few co-workers and they were surprised how moist and yummy they were.

    I must say though all of your baking looks super yummy. I check out your blog quite frequently :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tiffany!!

    What delightful looking gf muffins!!

    I must make them soon!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete