Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Cupcakes

This evening I watched in awe as people from all over the world came together to celebrate the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. I've never really been big into Olympics, but something about the opening ceremonies gets me every time. It's inspirational to watch people from all over the world and across the nation get excited and emotional about one thing ... to come together in peace and to learn and love one another. I've always been proud to be a Canadian (in the usual quiet humble Canadian way), but this evening, watching the Olympic Ceremonies made me want to join in the crowd and bang my drum and wave my light just like all of the 60 thousand very lucky spectators at BC Place.

Another very big event to occur this weekend is Valentines Day. Another event that I have a love hate relationship with. I hate it, despise it and loathe it when I am single and then I love it when I have someone to share it with. Even though it's become highly commercialized, I think the idea behind it is a good one. It's one day in the year to show the people that you love how much you really do care about them. So many times in life, things happen that are beyond our control and we sometimes regret not telling people how much we thought of them before we lost our chance to. It, like the Olympics, is a day of peace and love and celebrating together.

Showing someone how much you care shouldn't have to be expensive either. The commercial side of the holiday tells us we need flowers, chocolate, cards, diamonds and more. Although those things can be nice they shouldn't be mandatory. The day should be about spending valuable quality time together with your significant other and enjoying each others company. You can do shared outings together (picnics, hikes, theatre, movies, dinner, etc) or you can do make something from the heart to show you care.

Personally, I get sucked in to both sides of Valentines. I tend to always get a card and some small gift for my partner and I like to do something from the heart. Last year it was to organize a weekend trip up to a 'local' ski hill and this year it's cupcakes!


Valentines Cupcakes

2 cups of Sugar
1 cup of Bob Redmill's GF All-Purpose Flour, sifted
3/4 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
3/4 cup Carob Powder, sifted
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 Eggs
1 cup Milk (lactose free or almond)
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Boiling Water
Red Food Colouring

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Create a well in the center and place all of the wet ingredients in the center. Mix until well blended, approximately 2 minutes. Pour into greased muffin tins or paper muffin cups and bake for 15-20minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). Prepare icing as per package directions and add food colouring until desired colour has been reached.

These are super sugary, moist and delicious cupcakes. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment