Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turkey Chili

Last week it was quite cold here. Since it is our first month in a new place we have been trying to keep the heat low and wear a lot of sweaters, slippers and blankets to keep warm, as we are worried about what our first gas bill will be like. So this meant a lot of warm food too. Things like warm baked casseroles, cornbread hot from the oven, cinnamon and raisin bread (first bread I've ever bothered to make after almost 3 years of baking gluten free and it was a mix, tasty though!) still steaming at the first slice, pot roast with warm gravy and of course chili. I make chili quite a bit in the summer to dehydrate and turn into camping food, but this time I thought I'd try something a little different.

I've also been attempting that whole meal planning thing. You know, actually deciding on what you are going to make for dinner for the whole week, not just that night, and then shopping for it. It's in hopes to cut down my food bills and trips to the grocery store. Most people have shoe addictions, I have grocery store addictions. The whole thing is a work in process and a bit of a learning curve, but it seems to be working. When I was thinking of making chili last week and we already had burgers and steak that same week, I thought I wanted to mix up the meat source a bit and go from beef to poultry. Vegetarian crossed my mind, but I like hearty meat dishes in the winter and light vegetarian dishes in the summer ... so in the spring (now-ish) I can never really make up my mind what I want.

This turkey chili is quick and easy to make and tasty too!


Turkey Chili


-2 tablespoons Olive Oil
-1 Onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Garlic, minced
-1 pound of ground Turkey
-1 tablespoon of Chili Powder
-1 tablespoon of Chipotle Chile Powder
-1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of Cumin
-1/2 teaspoon of Red Chili Pepper Flakes
-1 teaspoon Oregano
-1 can of Tomato Sauce (28 oz)
-1 can of Diced Tomatoes (28 oz)
-1 can of Black Beans (15 oz)
-1 can of Kidney Beans (15 oz)
-1 can of Chick Peas (15 oz)
-1 can of Sliced Mushrooms
-1 Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
-1/2 cup of frozen Corn
- Cilantro
- Grated Cheese

To make, heat oil in a large pot. Add onions, garlic and ground turkey. Cook until there is no more pink in the turkey and onions are soft. Then start adding in your spices and your cans of vegetables and fresh/frozen vegetables in any order you like. Stir well and let simmer for 30 minutes. Just enough time to bake yourself some tasty cornbread to go with it! Garnish with cilantro and grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment