Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas


The other day, I wanted to make something I used to make all the time a few years ago. It was a honey lime grilled chicken recipe and it was so good done on skewers on the grill … but I couldn’t find the exact recipe I used to use. I started looking on the Internet and came across a honey lime chicken enchilada, and boy am I glad I found it.  As usual I had to convert it to gluten free and find an enchilada sauce that I had the ingredients for (so many recipes out there), so it’s pulled from several recipes and melded into mine. That’s how most of my recipes work. Sometimes it turns out great and sometimes not so much.

An instance where it doesn’t turn out so well happened last week when I pulled two really good pear cake recipes together the other day from some of my favorite blogs to read; the cake from Simply … Gluten Free and the topping from Tartellete. It was a good idea, and actually tasted really good, but was way too moist … like it’s going to get moldy in a few days moist (I think I put too many pears in it) and the sauce just disappeared into the almond cake. So at least it wasn’t a total flop, but it needs work.

But the enchilada recipe, that one worked right away and was soooo good. I wanted to make it again the next day, and the day after that, but I didn’t.  I can, however, share it with you, so that you can make it over and over again.


Honey Lime Chicken Enchilada’s

Sauce:

2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Light Olive Oil
1 - 7 ounce can of Tomato Paste
2 cups of Water
½ teaspoon Cumin
½ teaspoon Carob Powder
½ teaspoon Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon

Enchilada:

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut in large chunks
4 tablespoons Lime Juice
5 tablespoons Honey
1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
6-8 Rice Wraps
Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, place pre-cooked chicken breast chunks, honey, limejuice and chili. Pulse until shredded and mixed well.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter and add oil. Then add tomato paste and water and mix. Add remaining spices (cumin, brown sugar, garlic, chili and cinnamon) and stir well.

Next pour some of the enchilada sauce in a 9x13” baking dish. Then fill rice wraps with shredded chicken mixture and wrap. Place them in the baking dish until it’s full. Pour remaining sauce over top and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment