Monday, December 6, 2010

Bailey's Banana Date Bread



Recently I’ve been inspired to dig out some of my old recipes and try to revamp some old classics. I have always loved baking, but I was never very adventurous or creative about it.  I made the occasional pie, apple crumble and banana bread and that was about it. Once in a blue moon I’d make chocolate cakes for friends or try carrot cake, but really nothing fancy and nothing beyond the recipe ... no ad-libbing with flavour or fruit or nuts.

When I started baking gluten free, I had so many baking mishaps that I gave up on it completely for a while. Then, slowly but surely I started again. Having this blog forces me to be at least a little creative and I love that. You may have noticed the lack of baked treats on here lately, and it’s not for a lack of trying. I’ve been really into almond flour these days and although the recipes that I get from books turn out great, the ones that I try haven’t been working out so well.

So when rifling through my recipe collection I found a very well used piece of paper, bent, torn and with ink bleeding everywhere. I knew that this was the recipe to convert and to go back to what I know (for now). I know Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour and I know coconut flour. The trick with coconut flour is to use little and to add a lot of moisture to your recipe to compensate for the fibrous flour.  Also, a new trick I learned recently is that working with warm eggs (not cold or room temp) gives gluten free baking the extra help it needs, when it comes to raising breads and cakes.


I bring you, Bailey’s Banana Date Bread:

1 cup Butter (softened)
¾ cup Sugar
3 very ripe Bananas
4 Eggs (warm)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
½ cup Coconut Flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
1 cup Buttermilk (I used 1 cup lactose free milk with 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
1 cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream
½ cup chopped Dates
½ cup chopped Walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add bananas, eggs and vanilla and mix well. Next add flours, baking soda, xanthan gum and mix well. Mix in milk, Bailey’s until batter is thoroughly mixed and moist. Fold in dates and nuts. Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for about an hour.  Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Isabel and I'm celiac too and I think that we can't eat barley. It contents gluten. And Baileys Irish Cream is cream of whisky(made with barley).Sorry for my english, I'm from Spain.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Whether or not Bailey's and other grain based drinks are gluten free or not is a bit controversial. In Canada it is understood that even though drinks such as whiskey are derived from gluten containing grains, the distillation process removes any gluten and makes them safe to consume. I've heard that some Celiacs still have troubles with these, but I am very sensitive and don't react. Beer is not distilled which is why it is still unsafe. I found this a while back while trying to see if Bailey's was safe and went by it: http://www.glutenfreedrinks.com/AlcoholBeverages_Baileys.htm. Again I don't react, however, if you are concerned, you can replace Bailey's with Amarula. Amarula tastes similar to Bailey's but is made from the Marula Fruit. Or alternatively just add more liquid and take out the Bailey's. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMMMMMMM,..this Bayley's gf banana bread must taste awesome & so special too!!

    Yummie food! Great to give as food gift too!

    ReplyDelete