Sunday, February 20, 2011

Orange, White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies


In a past life, my boyfriend used to work at a grocery store bakery. He doesn’t have a lot of fond memories from working there and never has a lot of good things to say about the job, but he is always, always talking about the cookies they made there. His favorite cookie being an orange, white chocolate and cranberry cookie with macadamia nuts. Any time I make cookies, he brings it up and mentions that I should try make them gluten free.

As you are all aware last week was Valentines Day. For my gift to my boyfriend, I decided to make him his favorite cookies. It’s rather difficult sneaking around a kitchen baking cookies for someone, when they live in the same house as you. So I told him that I was making him cookies for Valentines Day. But I didn’t tell him what kind and I didn’t tell him that I was also making cookies to take to work. So I started by trying a new cookie recipe that I found on one of the blogs I read, The Food Lovers Primal Palate for Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies. That’s right you heard me bacon and chocolate chip. I’ve heard this combination come up a few times and actually tried to order a bacon chocolate bar from the states a year or two back to put in stockings but it was just too pricey to ship it my way. So I had never tried this sweet and salty combo punch until last week, when they posted their new recipe. I figured it would be the perfect cover … one I could pretend those were the cookies I was making for him and two the bacon smell would cover up any sweet yummy white chocolate cranberry smells afterwards.


So that is what I did. The bacon chocolate chip cookies turned out fabulously. I like any almond meal cookie recipe, as they are usually moist and easy to make. This recipe is no different.  If you want to try chocolate and bacon together, I recommend trying it out using this recipe. I brought out one cookie for my boyfriend to sample and he liked it. I took the rest to work and everyone was quite surprised at the combination and everyone there said that it was very good.


Once those cookies were done, I started in on the orange, white chocolate and cranberry cookies. I found a recipe on a Betty Crocker website that I based it on. I just had to switch out and add a few ingredients. To be honest, I actually forgot about the macadamia nuts and didn’t add them. I was informed right away that they were missing, and will add them in next time for sure. But really, these cookies taste amazing with or without the nuts and now I see why he wouldn’t stop talking about them. The orange adds a hint of freshness, the cranberry’s a hint of tart and the white chocolate is the rich sweetness. The perfect cookie. I loved them so much that I plan on making them again … only a monster batch that I can share with coworkers, neighbours and still leave plenty for us.


Orange, White Chocolate, Cranberry Cookies

¼ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1 ½ cups Bob’s Redmill Gluten Free all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup frozen (unthawed) cranberries
½ cup Purdy’s white chocolate, chopped into chunks
½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped (optional)


Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and orange zest on medium speed of the electric mixer until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the sugar mixture and stir by hand until almost combined; add the cranberries and white chocolate and stir just until blended. Drop spoonfuls of dough about 1 inch apart on a cookie sheets. Bake 15 minutes, until light golden and set around the edges but still soft in the middle. Let set on cookie sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. These sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for helping me see that I can enjoy living gluten free.

    ReplyDelete