Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baked Potato Bacon Soup with Dill Cheddar Biscuits



Normally I try to tell a bit of a story to go a long with my posts, but this time it’s going to be short, sweet and very much to the point.

This weekend I spent a great day with my Mom shopping around Chemainus and Ladysmith. We had heard great rumors of the good window-shopping and antique shopping in the area and were not disappointed. During our extensive shopping excursion, we took a break at Bean Time in Ladysmith. They make a fantastic southwest chicken salad, which I’ve enjoyed many a time, but this time I was jealous of my Mom’s lunch. She had their cheddar dill muffin with bacon potato soup. The muffin looked sooooo good.  So once I got home I decided I needed to make my own version and a grain free / low sugar version at that. So here is my recipe. They are both quite quick and easy and very very tasty.



Dill and Cheddar Biscuits
-based on Elana Amsterdam’s Drop Biscuits

2 ½ cups Almond Flour
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Dill
1 teaspoon of Stevia Leaf Powder
¼ cup Grapeseed Oil
2 large Eggs
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a medium sized bowl mix the first 5 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and lemon juice. Add the small bowl to the large bowl, add cheese and mix well with a spatula. Spoon mixture onto greased cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes.

Baked Potato and Bacon Soup

10-15 small Red Potatoes
6 slices of Hertel’s GF Bacon
½ bunch of Green Onions
2 cups of Pacific Organic Chicken Broth
½ cup of Lactose Free Milk
¼ teaspoon of Dill
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Boil potatoes in a large pot until tender. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile fry bacon and set aside. In a powerful blender (Vitamix in this case) add all of the ingredients, set on high and let cook for 5 minutes. Mixture should already be hot from boiled potatoes.  Pour mixture out of blender into bowls, dollop sour cream and a dash of dill on top for dramatic effect and consume!

No comments:

Post a Comment