Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coconut Cherry Cupcakes

Summer is here or so the tourist info centers would like us to believe. I actually appreciate the much warmer and much longer days, but there are still quite a few cloudy, dreary and rainy days out there. They far outnumber the scandalously hot muggy days and so many people complain that summer hasn’t arrived yet.  I could definitely imagine a more amazing summer than what we are experiencing here on Vancouver Island, but I don’t feel like complaining. Compared to the endless dark and rainy winter, this …. this will do! It’s nice enough to be outside and my plants in their quaint planter boxes feel that it is plenty good enough to grow and thrive … as long as I remember to water them, that is.

Right about now is when you start seeing all of the wonderful summer fruits come into their own. Farmers markets, which were closed only a few months ago, are now a cornucopia of perfectly ripe fruits. One of my favorite fruits (among many) being cherries.  

One of our managers at work retired today after over 30 years at the job. Of course, to mark this milestone, as we mark almost all milestones at my job, we had a bbq potluck. Sometimes I get lazy and bring in chips and dip like most people when they don’t have time to make something for a potluck, but I saw this as an opportunity … an opportunity to create something delicious and not have it in my house. I’m trying to eat better and I know that if I have goodies in my house, I will eat them. So if I can get rid of half of them to a potluck then all the better for me. I do end up with some goodies, but not so much that I will have too much.  Also, since cherries have started to show up in our stores I thought it would be a good excuse to make something with cherries in it.  So that is how I ended up with coconut cherry cupcakes.

I bought one of those tiny one bite cupcake tins and used it, but the recipe also works for mini loafs and cake. You just have longer baking times. I was pleasantly surprised when several people came up to me and told me that my cupcakes tasted better than the gluten version that someone else brought in and a few people asked for the recipe.

So without further ado, here it is!



Coconut Cherry Cupcakes

1/3 cup Coconut Oil
¼ cup Cherry Juice (left over from the can of cherries)
6 Eggs (room temperature)
½ teaspoon Baking Soda
¾ cup Sugar
½ teaspoon Sea Salt, ground
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract, pure
¾ cup Coconut Flour, sifted
14 fluid ounce can of Bing Cherries, quartered
Pink Food Colouring (optional)

Icing

1 cup Butter, room temp
½ Kilogram (half a bag) of Icing Sugar
¼ cup Cherry Juice
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, pure

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease muffin tin well … or line with paper cups.

In a small saucepan melt coconut oil on medium heat until liquid. Whisk in cherry juice. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl blend together eggs and sugar until frothy. Next add baking soda, salt and vanilla extract and blend. Mix in the coconut oil/cherry juice mixture and then add your coconut flour.  Once that has reached an even consistency, fold in the chopped cherries. If the batter is looking suspiciously green as mine was, feel free to add some pink food colouring.  Spoon1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 12* minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are golden.  Set aside to cool for 5 minutes, then pop out of tin and place on cooling racks to cool further.

Meanwhile you can make the icing. Simply add all ingredients into a mixer and mix until smooth. If the icing is too runny add more icing sugar and if it’s to stiff add more cherry juice.

Now you can decorate your cupcakes any way you like. If it’s hot out and your icing is starting to melt, simply put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes until it firms up again.

*For mini loafs bake for about 25 minutes and for cakes try between 35-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment