Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Zucchini 'Linguini '


Pasta, oh how I love thee. I miss you just a tiny bit, but not as much as I thought I might. I’ve found a new love, a healthier love and one that doesn’t bite me back. Surprisingly it’s squash. Earlier I wrote about replacing pasta with spaghetti squash, which is darn tasty, but there is another much greener squash that also does the trick AND you can eat it RAW if you like or steam it. This special squash is the zucchini.

Zucchini makes for a very bright dish and it’s mild flavour helps enhance the taste of the sauce, so you don’t really realize that you are eating squash instead of pasta. I was told by the lovely folks at Rawesome Living (Saltspring Island, BC) that if you want to eat the noodles raw, just to add a bit of salt and oil and let them sit. The salt will draw out the excess water. That along with the time will soften up the noodles. I haven’t actually tried this yet, but plan on it. Currently I steam the noodles briefly in a steamer (10 minutes) to get them soft and warm.

All you need is a vegetable peeler (which is how I started) or if you want to get fancy, you can by yourself a spiralizer that will make your zucchini go from linguini size (peeler method) to angel hair pasta or larger noodles.


 Zucchini ‘Linguini’ with Chicken, Pesto and Olives

2-3 Large Zucchini’s
1 package of Oliveria’s Pesto Sauce
2 chicken breasts
14 oz can of Black Pitted Olives
Parmesan Cheese

Start by grilling the chicken until it reaches 180 degrees. While it’s cooking you can spiralize your zucchini or using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini layer after layer until your reach the seeds. Discard the peel and the seed core. Leave it to sit for a while (Raw option) with a dash of salt and oil or steam for no more than 10 minutes. If you steam it too long the zucchini becomes too mushy.

Cube your grilled chicken and place in a large bowl. Add the can of olives and zucchini. Next add full or half package (depending on your taste) of pesto sauce and stir until everything is well coated.  Plate the dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Taste, eat, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment