Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Grain Free Apple Pear Tart with Riesling and Cardamom


As I walked out to my car in the pouring rain, I noticed there were apples all over the ground. So I looked up … and there above me was a branch laden with apples. I shouldn’t have been so surprised, I mean our landlord gave us the tour of the yard when we first moved in last summer and specifically pointed out the multiple apple and pear trees. But last year our growing season wasn’t great and I don’t remember any fruit. This year the growing season seemed far worse, but for some reason the fruit trees seem to think differently. They are bearing their fruit everywhere!

Sadly, as a renter I do not own a ladder, so I can only grab what is within my reach. So it’s a good thing I’m both tall and not afraid to dangle off the wooden fence to get to them. Having collected a very modest amount of apples and pears (most are still on the trees) I decided I didn’t really have enough to make pear butter or applesauce, as was my original intention. So instead I did what I do best and combined a few recipes to make a grain free apple pear tart. The crust is from Quinoa 365 and the filling is based off of this recipe I found on the UK Food Network by Ellie Krieger


Grain Free Apple Pear Tart with Riesling and Cardamom

Crust:
1 ¼ cup Quinoa Flour
3 tablespoons Sugar
½ cup Butter, softened
1-tablespoon water

Filling:
¼ cup Riesling Wine
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Apple, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Pears, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoon Brown Sugar
1-teaspoon ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground Cardamom
1 tablespoon Arrowroot Powder

Glaze:
1 tablespoon Honey
2 teaspoons water
¼ ground Cardamom

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare tart pan by spraying with pan and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together sugar and quinoa flour. Then, using a pastry cutter cut in softened butter until a crumbly down forms. Next add water and mix by hand to form a rough ball. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.

While the dough is chilling, prepare your fruit (peel and slice apple and pears) and add them to a large bowl filled with Riesling wine and lemon juice. Toss to coat so that the fruit doesn’t turn brown. Next add in brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and arrowroot powder and hand toss until coated evenly. Set aside to marinate.

Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out between two sheets of wax paper sprinkled with some quinoa flour. Remove the top layer or wax paper and use the remaining piece to help you place it in the prepared tart pan. Press into edges and repair any cracks with extra pastry. Poke a few small holes in the pastry with a fork or knife and then fill with your fruit filling.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F for another 40 minutes. Once the tart is finished baking remove it from the oven and set it to cool. At this time add honey, boiling water and cardamom to a small bowl and mix well. Using a pastry brush, immediately coat the apples and pears with the honey glaze. Serve warm with a little whipped cream if you like.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany
    This looks really good. So you didn't have to blind bake the tart first? I went over to Quinoa 365 site to see if they had but there crust recipe has gone. Sorry for the question but I've never used quinoa flour in a pie before but I have to try this. Great photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Quinoa 365 book gives two options for their pie crust, to bake with filling as per a regular recipes instructions or to blind bake first (empty). I chose the lazy woman's route and did not blind bake it first as it is not a very juicy recipe. However, if you prefer that option you can bake the crust first for 15 minutes at 375 and poke holes in the bottom of the crust first so that it doesn't bubble up. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the reply. I'll let you know how I get on once I have made it.

    ReplyDelete