Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes

When someone says, “it’s a small world after all” they are usually referring to how random person you just met knows someone you know. It’s a type of craziness that happens all the time. Today I feel like it’s a small world after all in regards to cookbooks.

The other day, a classmate (Nikki) from high school posted a photo of some Pumpkin Pancakes that she made with quinoa. I made a mental note to try them as the photo she took of them looked so tasty. Finally the worlds came together … my Vitamix replacement part came in the mail (most amazing warranty service ever) and my nuts online order came and I happened to have most of the ingredients on hand. So I made the yummy looking pancakes this morning and they taste just as good as they look!

Wanting to share them with you I double checked where the original recipe came from and it was adapted from a book called Quinoa 365 … the very same cookbook that’s been sitting on my kitchen counter for weeks that I keep meaning to try something from. It’s a small world for cookbooks. Nikki adapted a healthier version which can be found here at Picky Nikki’s website. She’s got some yummy sounding recipes that aren’t all gluten free, but are healthy and worth a visit to her site.

I, of course, adapted her adapted recipe, which actually almost brought it back to the original … now that I have the book in front of me, but not quite.  It’s all about what I had on hand at the time. For some grain free (from most of my reading I’ve read that Quinoa is not considered a grain) Pumpkin Pancakes that taste like heaven, have a go at these!


Quinoa Pumpkin Pancakes
~makes roughly 17 pancakes~

1 ½ cups Quinoa Flour
¼ cup Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Soda (gf)
1-teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1-teaspoon ground Allspice
½ teaspoon ground Nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground Sea Salt
¾ cup French Vanilla Yoghurt (or plain)
1 cup Lactose Free Milk with 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice in it (or buttermilk)
1 can (398ml) Pumpkin Puree
2 Egg Whites

Pure Maple Syrup
Pecans

In large bowl whisk together quinoa flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. Next add egg whites, yoghurt, milk and pumpkin. Whisk until well combined. Using a ¼-measuring cup, scoop out pancake mix onto a hot (350 degree F) non-stick griddle. Once the pancake appears to be partially cooked through and is bubbling on top flip it over until cooked all the way through.  Serve with maple syrup and pecans.

1 comment:

  1. Those look so good! I know Bob would love them. I'm not a big fan of pancakes, but I think I would as well. Definitely going to put this on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete