Monday, September 12, 2011

A&W Prime Rib Burger


I’ve been travelling a lot lately. Some has been for work and some has been for fun. I was in Northern BC (Prince Rupert, Terrace and Hazelton) for work a few weeks ago. Then Stratchona Park to camp on the September weekend, then Nanaimo for work, then Whistler for the Grand Fondo cycling race (my boyfriend was in it, so I volunteered) and now I’m in Port Hardy for work. Lots of travelling means a lot of eating out, which I do not normally like, however, I’m getting better at ensuring my meals are safe.  In Port Hardy I’ve got a hotel with a kitchenette so that I can make my own meals and I brought some food from Rawthentic Eatery to help out.  In Whistler I researched restaurants through The Celiac Scene dot com for dinner and pre-ordered my lunch and breakfasts from Panne Rizo a completely dedicated gluten free bakery. I spent my first weekend away (other than camping) without getting sick! It was fantastic.

In Whistler I ate at three restaurants. The first was Elements Urban Tapas Parlour. They had a gluten free menu to help with selections, but it’s not 100% accurate. There were items listed with “hoison” sauce, traditionally made with soy sauce, traditionally made with wheat, listed on the menu. I asked the server to double-check the sauce and she confirmed that it wasn’t safe. They also listed a roasted chicken with panko olives. Panko is a fancy word for breaded … at least in my experience; I haven’t actually looked it up. After double-checking it was in fact breaded and deep fried olives, however, they were easily left off the plate. So there was a lot of sleuthing on my part, but after that I had a great meal. I highly recommend the bocchini caprese with roasted chicken (minus the olives).

I also ate at the Fairmont Hotels Wildflower Restaurant. They have a menu for several specialty diets including macrobiotic, vegan, raw, gluten free and more. There are only two appetizers, entrees, and desserts listed under the gluten free but I felt they were a good selection and I ended up having the beet carpacio and snapper for dinner. Sadly, everyone else was too full for dessert so I opted not to have any, but the options sounded yummy! They even served hot out of the oven gluten free buns!

The last place I ate at was Crepe Montagne. Now they don’t serve gluten free crepes, but I had the most delicious tomato cheese omelet with pan fried hash browns and a strawberry (dairy free) smoothie. All very tasty!

With all this eating out I’ve been watching my boyfriend eat a lot of A&W. It’s his fallback store when we’re on the road. It used to be my favourite fast food chain when I ate gluten. I loved their onion rings and either the teen or mozza burgers. Now that I can’t have any of their food, they keep coming out with new burgers.  One of which is the Prime Rib Burger. The big thing being that it’s mainly a plain burger with horseradish sauce and caramelized onions. I’ve been drooling over this one for a while now, so I decided to make my own version. My boyfriend says that it’s almost bang on. So now I don’t have to feel left out :)


A&W Prime Rib Burger

500 grams Ground Beef
1 Egg
½ cup Cattle Boyz BBQ Sauce
Mozzarella slices
1 heaping teaspoon Horseradish
2 heaping tablespoon Miraclewhip (Mayonnaise)
1 tablespoon Butter
1 Onion, diced

To make homemade burger patties place ground beef in a small bowl. Add one egg and bbq sauce and mix together with your hands.  Form into patties of desired size. I made 4 thick patties. Place patties on grill and cook until 170 degrees F in the center. Flip half way through. Top with mozzarella and melt cheese.

In a large frying pan, melt butter and then throw in diced onions. Cook on high until onions are golden and starting to brown.

In a small saucer mix horseradish and miraclehwip until well combined.

Assemble burger as desired. If you don’t eat grains, just wrap in lettuce and throw in a slice of tomato with your onions and horseradish sauce or place on baked portabella mushroom. If you do eat grains you can place burger on a tostada or gluten free bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment