Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Grain Free)


Tonight was an evening of learning lessons. Just one major one, but one worth learning. Tonight I learned that mistakes can be salvaged. Oh I’m sure the mistakes one makes in life can be rescued, as I can probably supply a long list of personal examples … however, in this case I’m talking about mistakes in the kitchen.

Tonight, while my body decided to try and ward off a cold, which meant my body was torturing me through throbbing lymph node, aching neck and pounding headache, I decided I wasn’t going grocery shopping to get knew fresh food and that I would make do with what I had on hand. So digging back into the dredges of my freezer I found some turkey and chicken broth and decided to make a turkey pie.

Of course, I’m on this grain free quick (not 100% of the time, but trying to make it about 80-90%) and thought I’d try making the crust out of quinoa flour and other elements.  I think it would have turned out great, had I not put WAY too much chicken broth in with my turkey pie filling. Even though I pre-baked the crust, after 35 minutes of baking the crust had turned into a big soggy mess. Normally this would be enough to make me give up, throw it away and finger cook with Boston Pizza.  For some reason though, tonight I figured what the heck … when I eat a chicken pot pie, I end up mashing it all together and eating it one big mess anyways, so I pulled the pie from the oven and mashed it all around mixing in the soggy crust and baked crust (it was half and half) and threw it back in the oven for another 15 minutes.  When the timer beeped I spooned the mystery food onto a plate with salad and carrots and said “here’s your mystery dinner”.  There is none left … C went back for 3rds. Sure it didn’t look good, but it tasted just like a turkey pot pie would when you mashed it around a bit , and the extra time in the oven got rid of the extra liquid.  So don’t always give up on your ‘disaster’ as they may not be one. Now I know to put less liquid in it next time and it probably will turn out just fine.

Sadly, because it was an utter visual disaster, I will not be posting a recipe for the yummy dinner I had this evening, but instead I will share a recipe with you that I was also shocked to have turn out.  My boss mentioned that his daughter was trying out this new pizza crust recipe and said he would get the recipe for me. I have tried it a few times and am amazed at how easy it is and how tasty it is. C goes back for 2nds and 3rds of this recipe as well. I wish I knew who came up with the original recipe to give them credit, but I do not.

In the meantime, if you would like a grain free pizza crust that is fluffy and delicious try this!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

2 cups cooked Cauliflower
2 cups shredded Cheese (cheddar/mozzarella)
1 Egg
½ Onion, chopped (optional)
2-4 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning (optional)

In a food processer place cooked cauliflower and process until it looks like rice. Place cauliflower in a large bowl with remaining ingredients and mix with spatula until well blended.  Then dump mixture onto a baking sheet covered in tinfoil and greased. Spread out into one large pizza or several smaller pizzas. Bake in the oven until golden brown (approx 20 minutes). Remove from oven and top with favorite toppings. In this case it’s pizza sauce, salami, tomatoes and feta and mozzarella.
Move the rack up one level in the oven and then broil the toppings on the pizza until all the cheese is melted and crust is golden (approx 10-15 minutes).  Remove, eat and enjoy!

Side notes … the smaller the crust the more you will be able to actually pick it up and eat it like a pizza with your hands. If it’s a large pizza you will probably have to use utensils. Same goes for next day pizza! It will get a little soft over night in the fridge, so be prepared to use utensils if there are any left over’s. It still tastes great, it just won’t hold together.

No comments:

Post a Comment