Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cinnamon Ice Cream (dairy free / egg free / gluten free)


My boyfriend and his father are huge ice cream fans. In fact they seem to go out of their way to get ice cream, especially in the summer. I like ice cream, but I’ve never been a huge fan. Ice cream in a waffle cone on the other hand, those are good! I just never liked the mess of melting sugary goo all over my hands, the crumbly cones, and the cold teeth. My favorite form of ice cream was to have it melting on hot apple crumble. The ice cream cooling the crumble, cutting the sweetness and adding a silky smooth creamy feeling while the hot crumble warms the ice cream and adds a touch of crunch. That is the perfect way to enjoy ice cream.

Of course, Celiac and lactose intolerance go hand in hand. Your already sensitive intestines find it even more difficult to deal with lactose, when newly diagnosed. For some people this may pass and you can get back to eating real ice cream, but for many others and me it sticks. For me it’s fairly mild, but burping every 30 seconds for an hour or two isn’t the most welcome thing while at work or social events.

So when a friend of mine offered to give me her mostly un-used ice cream maker I thought it would be a fun way to make a safe ice cream. Something fun for my boyfriend who loves ice cream and something that won’t set my tummy a rumbling. Technically ice cream sets his tummy rumbling too, but he will eat it any ways!

Any who, one of my favorite ice creams is called Cinnamon Ice Cream and it only comes out in winter for the holiday season. So for the first ice cream in my new ice cream maker and the first ice cream for the season I made Cinnamon Ice Cream. It’s fantastic on it’s own with the grit of the Cinnamon giving it an almost Chocolate Malt texture and it goes really well with apple pies or apple crumbles. It’s very simple and delicious.


Cinnamon Ice Cream
-based on recipe written by Chef Kate 

2  -14 Oz cans of Coconut Milk*
½ Cup Maple Syrup
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon

Pour all three ingredients into a Vitamix and blend until well combined. Then pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions.

If you don’t have an ice cream maker just pour the mixture into a baking dish and place in a freezer. Take it out and stir vigorously every 30 minutes until it has formed the desired consistency. Stirring vigorously breaks up the ice crystals as they form and helps produce a smoother ice cream.

*Put your coconut milk in the freezer a few hours before hand to help speed the process up … but don’t forget them there or they will be solid to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment