Saturday, February 18, 2012

Potage Crécy



It was a while ago now, but this past year, I spent Christmas with my boyfriend and his family. We’ve decided to start alternating Christmas’s together. I mean we have been together for 4 years now and hadn’t spent a single Christmas together. So this year I went to Whistler with his family and had a wonderful time. I tried my hand at snowboarding for probably the 15th time and just like all the others had a miserable time of it. I later discovered over New Years that skiing is way easier for me. I’ll be doing that from now on!

But back in Whistler we spent Christmas evening with strangers. Well they were mutual friends of friends of Colin’s parents, but strangers to us. It was a different way to spend Christmas but good. The people owned one or more liquor stores and where wine connoisseurs. So for dinner we literally had a different wine to pair with each course. It was a luxury I’ve never had before.

Dinner was delicious! Although the hostess had taken the time to examine every ingredient in the meal, I did not fare so well in the end due to cross contamination of some sort, but all the food was made from scratch and so tasty. It made me want to emulate a few of her selections and that is where today’s recipe comes from. For a starter soup we had something she called Potage Crécy, which I’ve learned is a type of French carrot soup, but hers had parsnips and herbs as well and made it quite festive tasting. It was very thick and creamy, but there was no dairy in it at all, the thickness came from the puréed vegetables alone.

Back to the cross contamination issue for a minute… I am starting to wonder if the wine I had for dinner may have been the culprit. Has anyone else had issues with wine? I read an article here that says some manufactures store their wine in barrels sealed with wheat paste. Apparently the issue has never been tested before, but since I am so sensitive to everything, I think it may be the answer to why sometimes (not always) when I eat everything that should be safe for me and have a glass of wine with dinner I get a reaction. I usually blame the food … but maybe I should be looking into the wine?


Potage Crécy

1 tablespoon Butter
2 Onions, diced
4 Carrots, peeled and chunked
4 Parsnips, peeled and chunked
1 package of Fresh Poultry Herbs, chopped (Thyme, Sage, Rosemary)
1 litre of GF Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot, melt butter and fry onions with herbs until onions are golden. Next through in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are soft. Once everything is tender, pour entire contents (half at a time or all at once if it fits) into a Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a Vitamix, you can use an immersion blender in your pot. Ladle into bowls and serve while still hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment