Sunday, March 4, 2012

Quinoa Breakfast Bars


For the past week, I have been eating these delicious quinoa breakfast bars for breakfast. I truly wish I could take credit for them but I cannot. I saw them on Gluten Free Goddess’ website and thought I would try them out. I lacked a few ingredients and changed a few ingredients, so I will share my adapted recipe with you, but the original piece de resistance can be found here: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/09/quinoa-breakfast-brownies.html#ixzz1oDStMNQW

These bars have been great. They taste homey and nutty like quinoa, but they also taste sweet and deep like raisons and chocolate.  They are probably healthier than your standard doughnut or muffin breakfast, so I don’t feel all that guilty eating them. Plus they are filling too. I am able to consume two small pieces with some juice, tea, or fruit smoothie and be satisfied until lunch.  I can’t wait to try her new recipe for quinoa carrot cake bars, but I think I will actually go out and purchase quinoa flakes for that and see how they turn out.  For the recipe below I used straight up quinoa instead of quinoa flakes. Baked quinoa turns into little crunchy bits, kind of like rice krispies. It can give a cake or cookie an unexpected, yet pleasant crunch.


Quinoa Breakfast Bars Recipe
-Adapted from Gluten Free Goddess


1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup organic quinoa flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup quinoa
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon stevia leaf powder
2/3 cup light olive oil
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
¼ almond milk
1/2 cup golden raisins
2/3 cup gf chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl or kitchen aid mixer, add all but the last two ingredients. Mix until well combined. Mixture should be thick and slightly wet/gooey/sticky but not too thin. If it’s not moist enough add more almond milk or water. Once everything is mixed add in your raisons and chocolate chips until they are even throughout the dough. Spread mixture into a greased 11x9 pan … or if you don’t have that line an 11x13 pan with parchment paper (greased) and just spread it ¾ of way in length. It will hold up. Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is firm. You can use a toothpick to check. It’s ready when it comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and slice into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment