Monday, March 26, 2012

Swedish Meatballs


I love my trips to IKEA. I don’t get to go there very often, but when I do, I love every bit of it. Watching the kids play in the bouncy balls (not my kids, I don’t have any), going through all the displays, and finding the best deals to make my home so much better. I’ve even found some gluten free desserts that they sell and are also very tasty.

But I do miss the meatballs. I was never a big fan of meatballs or meatloaf. They were so blasé to me. But IKEA meatballs were the bomb. They had the best flavour to them. I didn’t know what it was, but it was darn good. Of course they are loaded with gluten goodness and I can’t consume them any longer.

For the longest time I didn’t miss that at all. Meatballs are boring. But then one day I saw a friend on facebook rave about making Swedish meatballs and I instantly craved them too. I remembered always wanting a few more on my plate and figured what the heck. I’ve been around the block a while now, I’m sure I can make gluten free Swedish meatballs, and that is exactly what I did … and man are they tasty!


Swedish Meatballs
-Inspired by GottaFeedEmAll 

Meatballs:
         1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
         ½ cups Minced Fresh Onion
         2 cloves Garlic, Minced
         500 grams Lean Ground Turkey
         1 whole Egg
         ½ cups Almond Flour
         1 Tablespoon GF Worcestershire Sauce
         ½ Tablespoons Dried Parsley
         1 teaspoon Ground Allspice
         ¼ teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
        
Sauce:
         1 ¾ cups GF Beef Broth (Glutino)
         3 Tablespoons Tapioca Starch
         1 Tablespoon GF Worcestershire Sauce
         ½ Tablespoons Dried Parsley
         ¼ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
         ½ teaspoons Salt, Or To Taste
         ¼ cups Light Sour Cream

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Place oil and onions in a small skillet and sauté until golden brown. Put the onions into a food processor along with the remaining meatball ingredients. Process until well mixed.  Then using spoon scoop out mixture and roll into little 1” balls with your hands. Place them into a baking dish that is lightly coated in oil (to prevent sticking).  Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for half an hour or until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 180ºF.

While the meatballs are baking, place tapioca starch into a small cup and add just enough water to cover it. Stir until smooth and no lumps remain. Then in a large skillet pour in beef broth and tapioca starch mix, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt and pepper. Stirring frequently, bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to medium heat until thickened. Then add sour cream and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Once the balls are done, add them to the sauce and serve with rice, noodles, quinoa or potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. Was tha me going on about meatballs on fb? lol
    I like your gluten free mods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! You made me crave them :)

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! A touch too much allspice for my taste, but otherwise really delicious.

    ReplyDelete