Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (dairy free, gluten free, egg free)



August has been a very hot month. Made hotter still by my work. Today we wore tyvec suites (white full body coveralls) and walked through green houses when it was 24 + degrees C outside and even hotter inside.  I had no idea I could sweat that much. I thought I sweat a lot during hot yoga, but I’ve discovered an even sweatier sport … anything done in a tyvec suite on a hot day. But hey, some people pay good money to sweat out all of their toxins and we were getting paid to do it.  But you know what makes a hot, sweaty, underwear soaked through day worth it? Ice Cream.

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I’m lactose intolerant as well as gluten free, so ice cream is a bit of a tricky one. But recently I’ve noticed one of my old favorites resurfacing on other foodie blogs, mint chocolate ice cream.  Oreo cookie was my other favorite. However, there is just something about mint and chocolate … and guess what is in abundance in gardens this time of year? Mint.

So I tried making mint chocolate ice cream, lactose free, and it worked! Most of my ice cream concoctions of late haven’t been the best, but this one is so soft and creamy and delicious, I must share it with you!


Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
-       -based on Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook

1 can  (398 ml) of Coconut Milk
1/3 cup pure Maple Syrup
1 cup of fresh Mint Leaves
¼ cup ‘enjoy life’ gf Chocolate Chips

Place coconut milk in a saucepan and stir in maple syrup and mint leaves. Slowly bring to a simmer on medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Then transfer liquid into a bowl and place in the fridge overnight.  If you are going to make the ice cream right away put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes to help it cool down faster. Leaving the mixture overnight helps the mint flavour become stronger …  it will be quite mild if you use it right away.  When you’re ready to make ice cream, strain the mint leaves out and pour the liquid into your ice cream maker and follow the directions.  Very simple and very delicious.

Notes:
-      - I bet this would taste great if you had chocolate mint leaves. Sadly mine were covered in aphids.
-      - If you want your ice cream to be green, like the store bought version, just add green food colouring.

1 comment:

  1. This sweet treat sounds super refreshing! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-fridays-recipe-party-2/
    Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the "glutenfree bloggers" tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete