Sunday, February 3, 2013

Homemade Pasta Sauce


Well folks, I only made it 17 days out of 21 on my sugar free diet kick. As I mentioned before, the first time I did the diet the first week was hell but after that it was pretty good. This time was different, this time I only got better for a bit and then went straight back to feeling unhealthy. I was showing all the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia. As soon as I went back to eating normally (with a few less sweats) my headaches, nausea, lightheadedness, exhaustion, etc all went away. I still think the diet is a good one if you are trying to break the habit of eating junk food all the time; it just wasn’t working for me. I get that you are supposed to detox and get similar symptoms for the first bit, but I was pretty sure you were supposed to feel better at some point. 


Once I brought some of those lovely carbs back in, like quinoa pasta I was able to create some relatively healthy homemade food. One dinner recently was just spaghetti sauce and quinoa pasta but I’m starting to enjoy making my own homemade sauces. I can’t trust most of the prepackaged sauces as the creamy ones upset my stomach, and other ones usually have something in them that’s not quite right. So today I bring you home made pasta sauce. The basic recipe is simple and you can do all sorts of variations with it.



HOMEMADE PASTA SAUCE

Base:

1 – 156ml can of tomato paste
75 ml water
1 – 796ml can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons (or more) of Italian Herb mixture or Herbs Du Provence
¼ teaspoon of sugar (optional, takes away the bitterness of the tomatoes)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional:

Olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 – 398ml can of black olives
1 package of Hertel’s gluten free hot Italian sausage, sliced into bite size pieces

Instructions:

In a large deep skillet, pour enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom and prevent anything from sticking. Next place sausage and fry at medium high heat until almost cooked and then add the onions. Once onions are golden and soft and the sausages are cooked, place a lid or plate over the pan and strain any excess grease away. Place the skillet back on the stove and lower to medium heat and then add your can of tomato paste. Fill the can half way with water and add that to the skillet. Stir in the water and paste until it comes to a saucy consistency. You may need to add more water, but wait until the diced tomatoes are added (doing that now) to see how much water they add to the mix.  Next add herbs, salt and pepper and remaining vegetables. Allow too simmer (you may need to lower the heat even further) until vegetables are tender (approximately 10-15 minutes). Scoop finished sauce onto gluten free pasta of your choice and top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy.

If you want you can just do the base recipe and add any other ingredients you like or keep it plain.  Make this base thicker by adding less water and cutting out the diced tomatoes and you’ve got a nice pizza sauce as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment