Saturday, February 23, 2013

Upside Down Apple Cardamom Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce




Recently I fell in love with a new gluten free bakery, Cloud 9 Specialty Bakery. For the last few months, I’ve had several people ask me if I had heard of the new gluten free bakery in New Westminster, as it’s been in the news a lot lately. I may go to Vancouver a lot these days, but I don’t venture out that far. So when I was sent to Burnaby for two weeks for work training recently, I made sure to make a token visit to this new bakery (as it was 8 minutes drive from my hotel). Well I made my token visit and then several more because it’s so good! They make mostly dessert treats, but so far everything has been delicious. Their Nanaimo bars, peanut butter brownies, and cupcakes are all perfect. They don’t make a lot of breads, but the ones I tried were what kept me going back. They have an amazing cheese/onion bun and piccalo mini loaves, which go so well with melted butter and soup/chilli. Yum.

On my last visit (sad face) there before returning back to home base, I noticed that they were having a baking contest. Since it’s small and local I thought I’d give it a shot. Here is my contest entry:


Mini Upside Down Apple Cardamom Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce 
(can be turned into cupcakes or doubled to make one large cake)

1 1/2 cups Cloud 9 All Purpose GF Flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup grape seed oil
1 apple, sliced or rings

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix first 8 dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together remaining 4 wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry and mix until evenly incorporated. Get out a 4-6 ramekins and grease them. Place slices or rings of apple on the bottom of the ramekin and then pour in cake batter on top. Bake for ~45 mins. Once cake springs back upon touch and toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins. Then place upside down on a wire rack and cool further. Remove from ramekin. 

While cake is baking you can make your salted caramel sauce.

2 cups granulated sugar
12 tblspn unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Himalayan pink salt

Add the sugar in an even layer over the bottom of a heavy saucepan. Heat the sugar over medium-high heat, whisking as it melts. Continue to whisk sugar as it turns a deep amber colour and reaches 350 degrees F. Once the caramel reaches temperature add the butter and whisk until completely melted. Then remove from the heat and whisk in cream and salt. Set aside and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.

Pour caramel sauce over cake and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment