Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thai Seafood Soup

My freezer is chocker block full of food I don’t eat. It’s a horrible habit that I have. I buy meat and fish when it’s on sale and put it in the freezer to use later in the week. Then I find other food to make. The next week, instead of using what I just put in the freezer the week before, I go and buy new stuff that doesn’t require the forethought to defrost it. I don’t like defrosting food in microwaves because it usually half cooks it. The other methods all require time. I am a very lazy person at the root of it all.

However, the other day I was determined to make something healthy and something that used up some of my freezer stores. I have a lot of seafood in there, so I decided to try and make a delicious soup that a friend makes for me whenever I visit her in Prince Rupert. It was her sister’s recipe and I quite liked it. I had it written down somewhere, but do you think I can find it now? No. So I browsed the Internet for something similar and I found Thai Seafood Soup … sometimes known as Tom Yum Talay Soup. It is very tasty and I highly recommend you try it.


Thai Seafood Soup

6 cups gluten free chicken stock
12 medium raw shrimp, shells removed
2 fillets of black cod (also called Sable Fish), cubed
2 fillets of salmon, cubed
1 stalk of lemongrass
2 kefir lime leaves
1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
1 tsp of ground ginger
1 red chili, sliced and seeded
1 - 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 bunch of bok choy, finely chopped
1 - 14 oz can of coconut milk
4 tblspn of Braggs Soy Amino’s
Juice of one lime
1 tsp. sugar
Cilantro (to sprinkle on top)

Directions:
First pour the chicken stock, lemongrass and lime leaves into a deep soup pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Next add ginger, garlic, and chili and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for a few minutes. Next add the seafood, tomato and bok choy. Simmer until the shrimp turns pink and fish becomes flakey. Reduce the heat to medium low and add coconut milk, soy amino’s, limejuice and sugar. Continue to simmer for a few minutes. Remove lemon grass, kefir leaves and chili from soup. Then ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Note: You can switch up the seafood component as you like. You can use crab, mussels or scallops instead of fish or shrimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment