Monday, January 27, 2014

Chicken 'Noodle' Soup


A few weeks ago I was on travel status for work for a week. Even though everything I bought was gluten free, everything I ate was upsetting my digestive system in one way or another. This isn’t unusual for me. But, I was lucky enough to be staying in a room with a kitchenette. So after the first few days of grumbling intestines I decided to make something simple and easy for my system to handle… something that I could make in my hotel room with very little counter space.

My co-workers happened to have planned an outing to a local Asian market, so I decided to get my groceries there. I know that most of the food in the store had mystery ingredients, but I figured if I could make a safe meal from this store, I could make something safe anywhere I go. I just stuck to the outside isles of fresh produce, meat and eggs, and was fine. I brought all of my fresh ingredients back to the hotel and made a pot of calming soup in about an hour. It wasn’t mind blowingly tasty, but it was quick, easy, safe and soothing.

I made a similar soup once I returned from my trip (which is where the photographs are from) where I tried to jazz the soup up with tamari and kelp noodles, but I think I liked my first soup better. I was very soup focused because my naturopath told me that whenever my digestive system was out of whack, that I should try and do a broth cleanse. Basically just drink bone broth and water for a few days to settle the stomach and reduce inflammation. Since I like my food and feel like I’m starving to death doing cleanses, I have taken her theory and just added a bit more substance to it. So instead of just broth, I added some stomach satiating filler … but it’s still gentler on my system than the spicy/greasy meals I usually find myself consuming.

The strange glassy noodles in the photo below are kelp noodles. They have zero taste, so are great for adding texture without compromising the dish.


Chicken ‘Noodle’ Soup

Butter
½ White or Yellow Onion (or one stalk of Leek), diced
1 pkg Shimeji Mushrooms (or cremini mushrooms, sliced)
1 stock of Celery, sliced
1 Chicken Breast, cubed
1 cup of Baby Carrots
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
Handful of Baby Bok Choy
Bean Sprouts or Kelp Noodles or Rice Noodles
1 dozen Quail Eggs
Water (or half water and half bone broth)

In a large saucepan, place 1-2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Once it’s melted, on medium to high heat, place your onions, mushrooms and celery. Stir until onions soften. Then add chicken and cook until you don’t see any pink. Next you can add your lemon juice, salt and pepper, carrots, bok choy and noodles.  Fill the pan with enough water to cover all of your ingredients, plus an extra inch or two. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Finally, crack your quail eggs on top of the soup and allow to simmer (with lid on) for another 15 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment