Sunday, May 4, 2014

Mint and Vanilla Butter Cream Icing


Although many people have said that they like my icings, I never really like them myself. I’m always wishing they were like the icing you get in bakeries and for some reason mine never quite make the cut.

This week at work we had an impromptu potluck bbq lunch to enjoy the sunshine before it went into hiding again. Since it had also been my birthday earlier in the week, I decided this would be a great time to make cupcakes and try to improve my icing recipe. I think I’m one step closer, because this icing is good!

I made the cupcakes from Gluten Free on a Shoestrings Devil’s Food Cake recipe (from her book) and topped them off with vanilla butter cream icing, with a twist of freshly chopped mint. I felt that my cake was a little on the dry side, but with the nice soft icing, it was a good combination. Also, when you eat mint, you feel like you’ve just refreshed your mouth, so you end your meal with something sweet and refreshing!


Fresh Mint and Vanilla Butter Cream Icing
-based on a recipe by ALICE CURRAH and inspired by "Not Without Salt"

¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup vegetable shortening
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED (I used 3 cups)
¼ teaspoon table salt
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or water (I used lactose free milk)
a good handful of mint, thinly chopped

Beat butter and vegetable shortening for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/water and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time. Finally add in freshly chopped mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment